Can you imagine The Island Of The Gods without a single tourist?
When most people think of Bali, they think of a tourist haven, bustling with holidaymakers wanting to make the most of an island getaway. As a result, most people have never experienced Bali in its original, untouched state.
Not so for Clifford White. In a brilliant photo series, White takes us back to a Bali when, ironically, there wasn’t a single White face except his.
So here are 21 incredible photos of Bali in the 1970’s before tourism took over…
1) Sanur Beach In A More Peaceful Time
2) Local Balinese Boys Who Had Never Seen A Westerner Before
When Clifford first shared these photos on social media, one of these you boys recognized himself and reached out. “One of the children in the pictures is now in his 40s,” White said. He must have seen his island change!
3) Surfing Hotspots Required A Bit More Trekking Back Then
You see the barefoot man with the straw hat at the front of the photo? That’s former Green Australian MP Ian Cohen – making love, not politics.
4) Jl. Tegal Wangi – Street In The Heart Of Kuta
5) Quaint Kuta Markets Selling Local Products, Not Fake Ray-Ban’s
6) Large Resorts Now Line These Formerly Quiet Kuta Street
7) Balinese Local Carrying Clifford White’s Surf Board
8) Poppies Lane Leading To Kuta Beach…
9) A More Traditional Way Of Transporting Supplies
10) Get Your Hands On A Bali Style Shirt From Here, And Your On Hipster Level: Expert
11) Clifford White And A Monkey Just Chillin’
12) Surf Trip To Nusa Dua? Hop in…
13) Coastal Cave, Uluwatu
14) Let me read your future
“I see tourists… LOTS of tourists.”
15) Flying Into Denpasar, Overlooking the Famous Kuta Coastline
Where are all the resorts?
16) This Guy Don’t Give A Duck.
Ubud before the villas.
17) Local Surfers In Kuta
18) The Dartayasa Family Getting Fresh Water For Their Home On Kuta Beach
How much do you want to bet they don’t live there now?
19) Denpasar… Well, at least that hasn’t changed.
20) Clifford White Takes A Break From Surfing To Chill With Some Balinese Woman
21) Uluwatu, Before The Holidaying Hordes