2016 has been a crazy year.
With explosions, the rise Go-Jek and Uber, the Haze, celebrity deaths, the Olympics, the so-far peaceful expression of society’s radical elements, and even the increasing price of cigarettes – Indonesia has had its own involvement in the global whirlwind.
In recognition of Indonesia in 2016, here is a collection of a variety of photos we have shared throughout 2016, that perfectly review the turbulent year, including some of your favourites.
WowShack brings you 33 photos that sum up Indonesia in 2016…
At the start of the year, we were reminded of a simpler time.
1) Suasana Jakarta Kota, 1972
2) Jalan Legian, Bali, 1988.
3) Kuta Beach, circa. 1980.
Then things got really “2016”
4) Bombing near Sarinah Mall on Jalan Thamrin
5) But #KamiTidakTakut
6) Thankfully, Kanye will always be there
7) Gunung Prau, Dieng, Jawa Tengah
8) Wildlife Photojournalist Tim Laman – National Geographic
9) Before and after, Paradise Lost
10) You’re the only one for Mie
11) The National Mosque, Jakarta
12) Traditional Taxi’s protest the new age transportation
13) The Indonesian solution
14) An orangutan from Borneo using spear tool to fish
15) A fisherman at sunset in Rawa Pening, Central Java
16) President Jokowi visiting deforestation hotspot in South Sumatra which caused the Haze
This photo won the Indonesia Photojournalist Awards photo of the year 2016
17) “The Greatest” at a McDonalds in Jakarta, 1973
Ali spent $180 buying more than 100 people breakfast that day, one of many reasons the deceased will be remembered as “The Greatest.”
18) Pulau Padar, Flores, Nusa Tenggara Timur
The Greatest Show on Earth
19) The Olympic Opening Ceremony, Brazil
20) Sri Wahuyani’s Silver Medal was Indonesia’s first Medal in Rio
21) Badminton Doubles Gold against the odds
Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir Defeated reigning Olympic champions to take home Gold.
22) Lok Baintan Floating Market at Sunrise, South Kalimantan
23) Cigarette prices soared
24) Indonesian designer made history with hijab collection at New York Fashion Week
25) And the contrast…
26) A Pangolin carrying its baby at a zoo in Bali
27) Families of orangutans seek refuge after fire on the Mangkutup River in Central Kalimantan
28) How to learn English good…
It’s possibly text books like this that lead Elizabeth Pisani to suggest Indonesian kids are good for nothing
29) The most addictive substance known to man…
30) Slavery in the 21st Century.
31) When Sukarno met Castro
32) 200,000 people stage peaceful protest against Ahok at Monas
33) Selamat Hari Natal
2016 may go down in history as the most bizarre and turbulent year in recent memory… until 2017.
Whatever happens in 2017, you can be sure that WowShack will be there to find the positive stories you want hear, and reveal the good in the world 🙂
Selamat Tahun Baru!