Jakarta, Palembang, the rest of Indonesia and, indeed, the whole of Asia are already gripped by the 2018 Asian Games.
And what a start it’s been.
From fireworks to motorbike riding presidents, from gold medals to falling flags, the first 48 hours have been entertaining, to say the least.
Here are 10 highlights that prove we are in for an unforgettable Games…
1) Opening Ceremony
40,000 spectators inside Gelora Bung Karno Stadium in Jakarta witnessed a spectacular opening ceremony, with countless millions more watching on TV around the world.
2) Jokowi Rides A Motorbike Into The Bung Karno Stadium
The slick Indonesian president then gave a unifying speech:
“On behalf of the Indonesian people, we are proud and we are honored to welcome our special guests from 45 countries. With the 18th Asian Games, we, the nations of Asia, want to show [the world] that we are brothers, we are united and we want to reach our goals.”
3) Netizens Show Appreciation Via Twitter
— Anton Soeharyo (@antonsoeharyo) August 18, 2018
— Halief Ardiasyah (@halief) August 18, 2018
Indonesia is still trending in Korea and reached 10k tweets👏👏👏
– Mr. Jokowi looks like Yoo Heeyeol
– Mr. Jokowi is so cool with the motorbike
– Opening Ceremony AG in 🇮🇩 is so cool and amazing
And many more…#AsianGames #AsianGames2018#OpeningCeremonyAsianGames2018 pic.twitter.com/1UyRV72inV
— 레다 빨강아-ℓ🐶 (@reyeolie) August 18, 2018
4) 19-Year-Old Edgar Marvelo Wins Indonesia’s First Medal In The Men’s Wushu Changquan Competition
Marvelo secured Silver with a solid 9.72 performance.
5) Defia Rosmanir Win’s Indonesia’s First Gold Medal In Woman’s Taekwondo
She was personally congratulated by President Jokowi… no longer on his motorbike.
6) Lindswell Wins Indonesia’s Second Gold In The Woman’s Wushu Competition
Watch her elegant performance here:
7) Poor Ticket Handling With Haphazard Organisation
Hundreds of people had to wait in line for hours on Sunday morning as a result of ticketing problems, with some people ending up missing games.
Only one ticketing gate was open to redeem tickets online.
Now KiosTix have been subbed for Blibli.com to organize the ticketing system. Fingers crossed ticket collections will run smoother!
8) Air Pollution Not Up To International Standards
According to Al Jezeera, Jakarta’s air quality air pollution index showed an “unhealthy” level of 154 micrograms of harmful particles per cubic meter in Jakarta just three days before the start of the Games.
It’s feared that this could harm athletes would take in about 20 times more air than a person at rest.
9) Flag Falls In Men’s Swimming 200 Freestyle Medal Presentation
Imperious Chinese Swimmer, Sun Yang, demanded that his nation’s flag be held aloft for his Gold Medal presentation.
So Indonesia came up with the goods, with a very Indonesian solution.
10) Medal Standings After Day 1 Of The Asian Games 2018
With China topping the medal standings at every Asian Games since 1982, it will be a tall order for Indonesia to be at the top come the end of the games.
But with home support and an atmosphere of success, Indonesia’s sporting heroes are sure to put in a performance to be proud of.
Good luck to everyone! 🇮🇩